Fish oil is one of the most commonly consumed dietary supplements. Health professionals across the country often suggest taking it for a variety of reasons. It is rich in omega-3, which is important to your overall health. In addition, it contains a good amount of vitamins A and D which are both beneficial to your well being. Around 30 percent of the supplement is made up of omega-3, while the other 70 percent consists of other fats. Here are 4 benefits of taking fish oil:
Helps to Improve Cholesterol Levels
If you have trouble managing your cholesterol levels, a fish oil supplement may be able to help. It can increase levels of HDL, which is good cholesterol, while also lowering your levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). Omega-3 fatty acids can also significantly reduce blood triglyceride levels by between 15 and 30 percent, which improves your heart. These supplements are also great for other aspects of heart health, including decreasing blood pressure for those with elevated levels. Another way that omega-3 leads to a healthier heart is by preventing the plaques that can cause arteries to harden, as well as making existing arterial plaques more stable.
Inflammation in your body is your immune system’s way of fighting infection and treating injuries. However, chronic inflammation is associated with health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. For example, increased weight can sometimes lead to higher levels of inflammation. Omega-3s can help to reduce excess inflammation and can treat symptoms of these diseases. Fish oil in particular has shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help those who suffer from unneeded inflammation. The use of the supplement has also been proven to help with inflammation leading to joint pain, stiffness, and arthritis.
Support in Pregnancy in Early Life
Omega-3 supplements have been shown to be great for pregnant women and those who have recently given birth. These supplements are incredibly important for early growth and development. Therefore, they can be used both during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Taking omega-3 during this time can improve fetal brain development. There have also been studies that have shown that it is beneficial for the child’s visual development and can help reduce allergies. Further studies have been performed to show how omega-3 can be beneficial to skin, including disorders such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
Like your brain, your eyes rely on omega-3 fats. Research shows that people who don’t get enough have a greater risk of eye diseases and vision loss. As you know, eye health begins to decline with older age, which can lead to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). A study was performed that found that consuming a high dose of fish oil for 19 weeks improved vision among people with AMD.
If you have any questions about how fish oil can be beneficial for you, contact our Missouri pharmacy today. We are here to help lead you towards a healthier life!